Newport, the town, and Newport City are two distinct, separate incorporated entities next to each other at the southern end of Lake Memphremagog.
The town of Newport lies just west of Newport City. In addition to the city, the town is bordered on the east by the lake and by Irasburg, on the south by Lowell, on the west by Troy and on the north by the Canadian border.
Newport was chartered under the name Duncansboro to George Duncan, Nathan Fisk, and sixty-three others on Oct. 30, 1802. The town’s name was changed to Newport on Oct. 30, 1816.
The first clearing began where Newport Center is now. Two other settlements were also established, South Newport and Pickeral Point, which was later renamed Lake Bridge for its location at the head of Lake Memphremagog. Lake Bridge eventually became Newport City.
The first settlement of Newport Center was incorporated in 1908, but in 1931 it was consolidated with the Town of Newport and ceased to exist as its own entity. The U.S. Postal Service, however, refers to the town as Newport Center.