cathi feely cow

Holland, historically an agricultural town in the northeast corner of Orleans County, is bounded on the north by the Quebec towns of Stanstead and Barnston, on the east by the Essex County town of Norton, on the south by Morgan and on the west by Derby.

The Vermont Historical Gazetteer reported in the 1870s that the average yield of hay, wheat and oats per acre, was greater in Holland than any other town in the county.

The Barlow River runs west from Holland Pond in the northeastern corner of town and once supplied power for numerous mill sites.

The town was one of several granted in northern Vermont to Timothy Andrews and his associates. It was chartered, Oct. 26, 1789, and the origin of the name Holland is not known. The town’s first residents – Edmund Elliott from New Hampshire and Joseph Cowell from Connecticut – did not arrive until 1800.

It was not long before the War of 1812 made living near the Canadian border risky and slowed the settlement of Holland, as was the case in a number of Orleans County towns. just three decades after the Revolutionary War ended, America had again declared war on Britain for a variety of reasons, among them British interference with American trade, British support of Indian tribes opposing American expansion and concern that Americans would try to annex British territory in Canada.

Although Vermont did not have any major battles during the War of 1812, it was not attractive for settlement due to its geographically precarious position and fear of Indian raids. Vermonters were recruited by the federal government to help defend the northern border, but served primarily in the northwestern Vermont and northern New York areas.

The war lasted less than three years, and in Holland over time, three unincorporated villages formed – Holland Center, Holland Pond and Tice Hollow.

In modern decades the town achieved some notoriety as the site in September 1973 of a three-day rock festival known as Mac's Party that drew an estimated 30,000 people and ended in mayhem. Holland’s population at the time was less than 400.