Concord lies in the southern part of Essex County, bordered by Kirby, Lunenburg, and Waterford. It was chartered in 1781, originally as Pearsalls Gore.
The first recorded settler, Joseph Ball, arrived in 1788 and fathered the first child born in Concord in 1789. The first town meeting was held in 1794, with Ball as town clerk. During the boom years of agriculture and lumbering, Concord grew to 1600 people in 1880 and has since lost population. Around 1796, a new settlement grew on the hill above the meadows which became the business center with stores, blacksmith, tavern, school, lawyer, physician, hotel and church. This village is now known as Concord Corners.
In 1838, John D. Chase established the Village of West Concord (now known as Concord). Chase was the inventor of the first steel and iron circular saw and the Chase water wheel. In the early 1840s there was a dam and sawmill at the east end of the Village of West Concord and a large gristmill on the opposite bank of the Moose River. This area became the dominant business district of Concord. Due to the railroad and the efforts of Charles Hall, who cleared 75 acres for a new Village, North Concord became the center of the growing lumber interests in Essex County.
The Columbian School, America’s first normal school for training teachers, was opened in 1823 by the Rev. Samuel Read Hall. The library at nearby Lyndon State College, itself founded as a normal school, is named after Hall.
Concord is home to Miles Pond and Shadow Lake, two bodies of water frequented by summer visitors and camp owners. Concord is accessed by Route 2, a major east-west corridor in the Northeast Kingdom.